- Martha Lloyd’s Whooping Cough Cure
With Whooping Cough (Pertussis) reaching epidemic levels in recent years, a push to promote vaccination against it has received renewed publicity. As part of the DTP and DTaP (Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis) dose, we now have the ability to avoid these illnesses which were, in Jane Austen’s time, without prevention or cure.
In some countries, this ...
- Rendering Lard, the Regency Crisco
Use your crockpot to cut back on effort and create a healthy and tasty alternative to solid shortening.
- “The Poultry Yard: The Management of Fowls”, Regency Style
In Regency times, a well stocked poultry yard was a necessity to any country home. Household books of the time carried tips for managing them…
- Regency Cold Cream: Preserve a Pristine Complexion
“How very ill Eliza Bennet looks this morning, Mr. Darcy,” she cried; “I never in my life saw any one so much altered as she is since the winter. She is grown so brown and coarse! Louisa and I were agreeing that we should not have known her again.”
However little Mr. Darcy might have liked ...
- A Good Salve for Sore Lips
Make your own chapstick for these cold winter days
- Avoiding the Tan: Regency Skin Creams
A variety of recipes for combatting burns, tans and freckles
- Spring Cleaning: Recipes from Martha Lloyd’s Household Book
A variety of recipes for getting your home spic and span
- Regency Head Colds and Care
A Recipe for easing the aches, pains and stuffiness
- Steps to a Brilliant Complexion
How to maintain a Healthy Glow: Regency Style!
- After Dinner Mints & Candies
To Freshen the Breath and Ease the Stomacke
- Georgian Cosmentics: The Face of Beauty
The recipes behind the Rouge
- An Easy but Certain Cure for Consumption
Another great recipe from Martha Lloyd
- A Wash for the Hair
This is a cleanser and brightener of the head and hair, and should be applied in the morning…
- To Whiten Silk Stockings, Blacking for Shoes
…only quality goods for Jane Austen
- A Paste for Chapped Hands and Lips
Caring for your Winter Skin
- English Lavender Water
Martha Lloyd’s recipe for Lavender Water. Also instructions for French Linen Lavender Water.
- Milk of Roses
Valentines, roses and true love