Jane Austen created this little needle case for a neice of hers just learning to sew. It is on display at Chawton cottage and bears the following inscription: “With Aunt Jane’s Love”. This tiny gift would make a great stocking stuffer or small token for a friend at Christmas.
- 1 3″x5″ piece of cardstock (a plain index card works great)
- 1 2 1/2″x4 1/2″ piece of patterned paper
- 1 2 1/2″x4 1/2″ piece of felt
- 2 12″ pieces of 1/2″ ribbon
- Needle, thread and glue
- Fold the cardstock and patterned paper in half vertically.
- Open the cardstock up and place one piece of ribbon horizontally across the middle.
- Glue the paper on top of the ribbon to hold it in place. There should be a 1/4″ margin on all sides.
- Place the felt on top of the patterned paper.
- Place the other piece of ribbon centered vertically on top of the felt. Both should be centered on the creases you made in step 1.
- Stitch both pieces in place with a running stitch down the center crease.
- Fold your book closed and tie both sets of ribbons as shown in the illustration.
If you like, you can decorate the front of your needle book with watercolors, as Jane Austen did. You could also use colored paper, a pretty picture or clipart.
Fill the book with a few needles tucked through the felt and your gift is ready to give!
If you enjoyed this you’ll love our craft section. Visit here.