Terms and Conditions
This policy covers all users of the website. It is not necessary to purchase anything in order to gain access to the searching facilities of the site.
How do we collect your personal information?
We may collect your personal information through some of the following ways:
- When you register or use janeausten.co.uk
- When you contact us by telephone or email.
- When you register or use Jane Austen Membership, Gold Membership or Jane Austen Festival Membership.
- When you enter any prize draws or competitions run by the Jane Austen Gift Shop.
- When completing any surveys that we send to you for research purposes (although you are under no obligation to complete these).
- When completing any forms for transactional, employment or other purposes.
What sort of personal information will we collect about you?
In addition to personal details such as your name, address, email and telephone number, we may also collect some of the following personal information about you:
- Details of transactions you make from us
- Details of your shopping preferences
- Details of when you contact us by email, post or telephone. Please note that we my keep a record of that correspondence.
- Group information
What do we use your personal information for?
We will treat all your personal information as private and confidential (although we reserve the right to disclose this information in certain circumstances, as set out below).
We confirm that any personal information which you provide to us will be held securely. The types of uses we will make of your personal information shall include the following:
- Process any orders that you make via the Website (please note that your details may need to be passed to a third party in order for them to supply or deliver the product or service that you ordered and we may retain your details for a reasonable period of time after you have completed the transaction in order to fulfil any contractual obligations such as refunds, guarantees etc).
- Process payments and prevent fraudulent transactions (we may retain your details for these purposes for a reasonable period of time and we may pass your details to a third party to carry out these functions).
- With your consent, retain your personal information, preferences and details of your transactions in order to keep you informed by email, post, mobile messaging, telephone and/or through other digital means including social media platforms, about products and services (including special offers, discounts, promotions, events, competitions and so on) as well as recommending those which we feel will be of particular interest to you.
- Improve the content and appearance of the Website or App, to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you.
- Assess and process your job application (we may retain a record of your information for a reasonable period of time following the end of our recruitment selection process for administration purposes).
- Administer any prize draws or competitions run by Jane Austen OLGS Ltd. Please refer to the specific terms & conditions for each prize draw or competition.
- Carry out assessment and analysis (for example market, customer and product analysis) to enable us to review, develop and improve the products or services which we offer.
You should be aware that if we are requested by the police or any other regulatory or government authority investigating suspected illegal activities to provide your personal information or any other information we obtain about you, we are entitled do so.
We will not keep your personal information processed by us for any purpose or purposes for longer than is necessary for that purpose or for those purposes. Under data protection legislation you have the right to access information held about you.
How can I unsubscribe?
If at any point you no longer wish us to hold your personal information or you do not wish to receive information from us then there are a number of ways you can unsubscribe. These are as follows:
- You can click onto the “unsubscribe” link in any communication that we send to you by email which will automatically unsubscribe you from that type of communication. Each “unsubscribe” link only relates to that specific type of communication (e.g. marketing communications or survey communications). This means that unsubscribing from marketing communications will not automatically unsubscribe you from our weekly newsletter (or vice versa). Please also note that you may continue to receive communications which are already on route to you for a short period of time while your relevant unsubscribe request is being processed.
- In relation to the App, you can manage your preferences and select to opt out from one or all of the different push notifications by unselecting or selecting the relevant ones in the “Settings” section of the App. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any assistance.
The Website and App may, from time to time, contain links from other websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal details to these websites.
We have taken the appropriate measures to ensure that your personal information is not unlawfully processed. Jane Austen OLGS Ltd. , Locksbrook House Ltd and Jane Austen Festival Ltd uses industry standard practices to safeguard the confidentiality of your personal identifiable information, including ‘firewalls’ and secure socket layers. During any payment process, we ask for personal information that both identifies you and enables us to communicate with you.
We will use the information you provide only for the following purposes:
Please see ‘Delivery, Returns and Contact’ for information on postage times, postage costs, returns procedure, etc
Items should be exactly as described. On rare occasions packaging may differ from that illustrated. Whilst all efforts are made to ensure accuracy of description, specifications and pricing, there may be occasions where errors arise. Should such a situation occur Jane Austen OLGS Ltd will not be able to accept your purchase contract. In the event of a mistake, you will be contacted with a full explanation and a corrected offer. The information displayed is considered as an invitation to treat not as a confirmed offer for sale. The purchase contract is confirmed upon the supply of the item/s.
Import Duty and Customs
If you order items from our site for delivery outside the UK, they may be subject to import duties and taxes which are levied when the delivery reaches the specified destination. You will be responsible for payment of any such import duties and taxes. Please note that we have no control over these charges and cannot predict their amount.
Please also note that you must comply with all applicable laws and regulations of the country for which the products are destined. We will not be liable for any breach by you of any such laws.
Notification of problems
If there are any problems relating to your order, please notify us in the first instance at email@example.com. We will do everything we can to respond quickly and effectively. Delays and losses are rare but possible; we will always refund or resend (where possible) when the specified time period has elapsed.
If after you have received your item/s you are not completely satisfied, you may cancel the purchase contract within 14 days (beginning on the day after you received the item/s) and request a refund. In this case, you will receive a full refund of the price paid for the item/s in accordance with our refunds policy (set out below).
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to returning any item, as it may not be necessary for the item to be returned.
To cancel a purchase contract, you must inform us in writing or by sending an email to email@example.com. You must then return the item/s to us as soon as possible to the Returns Address below in an unused, undamaged condition and in its original packaging, in all original boxes and packaging materials. You are responsible for paying the cost of returning the item/s. We recommend that you fully insure your package that you are returning. We suggest the use of a carrier that can provide you with a proof of delivery. Jane Austen OLGS Ltd. will not be held responsible for items lost or damaged in transit.
Please note that you have a legal obligation to take reasonable care of the products while they are in your possession. If you fail to comply with this obligation, we may have a right of action against you for compensation.
Except where a product is defective, you may not cancel a purchase contract for the supply of any of the following:
(a) Made to order items once production has begun
(b) Earrings for hygiene reasons (this does not apply to faulty goods – faulty products will be exchanged like for like).
(c) Discounted or ‘end of line products’ can only be returned for refund as we may not be able to replace.
(d) DVDs if wrong region
(e) Festival tickets, Centre tickets, Gold Membership and gift vouchers
(f) E-patterns and e-books.
When you return a product to us:
(a) If you have cancelled the purchase contract within the 14-day cooling-off period (see above), we will process the refund due to you as soon as possible and, in any case, within 14 days of the day you have given notice of your cancellation. In this case, we will refund the price of the product in full, including the cost of sending the item to you. However, you will be responsible for the cost of returning the item to us;
(b) If the product is defective, we will examine the returned product and replace it or provide a refund. Products returned by you because of a defect will be refunded in full, including a refund of the delivery charges for sending the item to you and the cost incurred by you in returning the item to us. We cannot accept any items for return unless notified within thirty days of receipt.
When breakages occur during delivery, we require photographic evidence from you to demonstrate that the product is indeed broken. If we are satisfied that the product has been broken, and that the damage has been caused in transit, we will refund the price of the product in full.
The customer is responsible for the accuracy of the shipping address details. We cannot accept liability for items that are undelivered because of inaccurately or incompletely supplied information. Undelivered items can be refunded or re-shipped when returned to us by the post office; holding times may vary depending on country.
Jane Austen Gift Shop
Unit 18, Brassmill Enterprise Centre
Bath BA1 3JN
We try to make the delivery process as simple as possible and are able to send your purchase contract either to your home or to your place of work. We aim to process and dispatch all orders within 2 working days of their receipt. At busy times, especially over bank holidays and the Christmas period, there may be a delay. We will email you if we become aware of an unexpected delay other than the above.
Jane Austen OLGS Ltd. and its affiliates provide their services to you subject to the conditions below. If you visit our shop at ‘www.janeausten.co.uk/shop’ you accept these conditions
- Contract – Our contract of sale is considered legally binding at the point when the order has been dispatched and accepted and not before. Receipt of order does not entail acceptance of contract. Under rare and unforeseen circumstances we reserve the right to cancel any order and refund the customer in full.
The Law – Jane Austen OLGS Ltd. controls and operates this site from its offices within the UK. The laws of England and Wales govern claims relating to including the use of, this site and materials contained. If you choose to access from another country you do so on your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws.
Copyrights – All content included on the site such as text, graphics, logos, button, icons, images, audio clips, digital downloads and software are all owned by Jane Austen OLGS Ltd. and are protected by international copyright laws. This site may not be reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, resold or otherwise exploited without written consent of Jane Austen OLGS Ltd.
License and Site Access – Jane Austen OLGS Ltd. grants you a limited license to access and make personal use of this site. This license does not include any resales or commercial use of this site or its contents, any collection and use of any product listings, descriptions or prices, any derivative use of this site or its contents, or any downloading or copying of account information for the benefit of another merchant, or any use of data mining, robots or similar data gathering and extraction tools.
Product Descriptions – Jane Austen OLGS Ltd. and its affiliates attempt to be as accurate as possible. However we do not warrant that product descriptions or other content is completely accurate, reliable, or error free. We reserve the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions, or to change or update information at any time without prior notice (including after you have submitted your purchase contract). We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.
Prices – Prices and availability of items are subject to change without notice.
The Jane Austen Gift Shop is wholly owned by Jane Austen OLGS Limited
VAT No. GB182758669
Registered Office: 40 Gay Street, Bath, BA1 2NT.
Registered in England and Wales No. 8781297
Magazine Article Submissions
Our website is free and open to the public. The Jane Austen Centre does not offer financial return in exchange for articles. All pieces submitted to the site must be family friendly in nature. Articles submitted for review are not guaranteed to be posted, but we do include as many as we can.
When we reprint a piece, we rely on the integrity of the author regarding the work’s originality and accuracy. It is also up to the author to determine if the images they have included are copyright free and able to be reproduced under the creative commons, public domain or fair use doctrine:
…the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
When preparing an article for publication, it is first laid out in a format compatible with our site. We also like to include a brief biography (a line or two will do) about the author. If you have images to include, please include them as separate attachments to the article. Those with blogs, shops and other types of businesses often like to include links to them, as well. The author is then able to proof the piece and make any changes they might like.